As crónicas do Lynx

Uma colecção de pequenas crónicas dedicadas a uma grande paixão de sempre: Viver essa maravilhosa aventura que é o dia-a-dia!

terça-feira, novembro 24, 2009

Feed the Birds

Peço desculpa pelo seguinte texto estar em inglês...

I turned the GPSr on. I was on the beach, deciding what to do next on that morning. Glanced at the screen. Smiled. There was a geocache under 1k. Took a deep look at the blue sea, seeing the coconut trees lining on the shore, disappearing on the distance. Turned back, took a quick shower and had a quick breakfast. And stepped forward, across the hotel gate, passing through the guards with a nod and a smile, GPS on my hand, eyes set on the forest in front of me.


"Feed the birds. Should I've brought something for them?" asked myself as I easily found the wide path uphill, through the green. "Maybe some grains? Is it ok to feed birds at a bird sanctuary?". I heard the birds moving around me, over my head. Looked at them. They were small and colourful. Who would say that those small birds would be able to do such noise? Kept on moving forward. The GPS said only 200 metres. Not far. Definitively. I passed the former factory. Everything quite. Not a single soul to be seen, not a single sound to be heard. But I felt eyes looking at me. There were the little birds! I smiled back at them. Weird. Some of them seemed to smile back at me, with those colourful feathers and those cold, dark eyes.


5 metres. Aha! "Must be there!", said I, not concerned with muggles other than the curious birds. I reached forward. Took the plastic bag with a big smile "My first one in so many months!". Opened the cap of the geocache. Weird! No logbook! Just a big brown feather. Enormous. The size of my forearm. And then, looking at that feather I felt it. I felt the rotten air. I smelt the moisture fingers that led my eyes up, across the path. To where it was. Only then have I laid sight on it. Gigantic. Nearly the size of a men. The built of an eagle, with that twisted and sharp peak, those big brown feathers, those big black eyes, cold, staring at me. That smile saying "I put the feather in the geocache. I put the geocache in the coordinates. I put the coordinates in the net" and I realised that I had pulled the coordinates to my GPS, I had turned on the GPS pointing arrow, I had followed the arrow to a trap. I had signed my curse.


I heard a strong sound on my back, like to big legs going through the folliage. I then saw the second at my back. Then the third on my left. And was squared by the last to my right. The leader, the one I saw first glanced at me. With those cold black eyes. And then he nodded to the others. And they charged at me. And when I fell down, I saw the small tiny colorful birds looking at the kill, waiting their time to feed.